Thursday, July 19, 2007

Revising the Storyboard

I took a good long look at the storyboard and decided to revise it a bit. Now that I have some dye experience under my belt I can tell what will be a bit more realistic and what is more likely to work the best. I took out a couple of the single colors with the alum mordant plus Cream of Tartar due to the fact that those particular dyes are low and I want to same them for the Color Mixes and I have plenty of Single Color skeins. So, yesterday I started the Color Mixes section! I am excited, this is where the real fun begins. The Single Color section was a good warm up. Yesterday I dyed with a mix of Cutch and Cochineal extract using the alum plus C of T mordanted yarns. Here is where I did another revision, I streamlined each color mix so that I am dyeing a Cutch/Cochineal ratio of light/dark; medium/medium; and dark/light DOS*. I realized that I could easily spend another three months exploring all of the DOS ratios for each combination. I don't have the time or the yarn supply and the ratios I decided to use will suit the purpose well. So, what do you get when you mix Cutch and Cochineal? Pictures tomorrow but here is a preview; Cutch is a brown dye and Cochineal when combined with the Cream of Tartar is pink. I got a beautiful rose color that is slightly on the brown side. I would call it rosehip. I will be combining Cutch with madder next. Check back tomorrow evening for pictures of the Cutch and Cochineal combo. -Renee
*see glossary

No comments: