Sunday, July 8, 2007

Pinked!!

Guess what dyestuff this is? Cochineal! Same water, pots, process. The only difference is the addition of Cream of Tartar in the mordant process. Who says natural dyes are dull? If your natural dyes are dull, check your water, and then the 100 or so other variables that go into the whole fascinating process. This is in your face, Race for the Cure, PINK. I kept looking at the skeins thinking they didn't even look real, however, like all of the natural dyes, they have a life and glow to them. The other dyestuff I used with the Cream of Tartar addition was Lac and here are the results:
The dye kitchen is being put away temporarily while we go on a road trip for a few days. I will try to post from the road as I have a few new links to talk about. In the meantime, I will be out with my digital camera capturing images that inspire or intrigue. So I will leave you with the following question, Do you have a stash of images that you use for inspiration? Are they from magazines, postcards, art exhibits, or your own photos? -Renee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your beautiful cochineal! It is gorgeous. I hope you are having fun on the road.