Saturday, July 14, 2007

Highland Games

Today I spent the day in the Weaver and Spinner's booth at the Highland Games in Mt. Vernon WA. We had the best spot as we could see the main stage and the Games, as well as being just a step away from the Beer Garden. It was a bit hot and dusty but, as always, it is a wonderfully wild time.
Here is just a sampling of what was going on in our booth. We had fiber preparation with wool combs...







Spinning, this was Llama wool...
And weaving. I finished spinning and plying my Potluck roving that was mentioned in a previous post. I am glad I got it finished as I just received a pound of roving from a Full Belly Farm (see Fiber Links) which raises organically grown sheep. The sheep are not dosed with antibiotics or other drugs, are humanely raised, and the fiber is processed using environmentally friendly techniques. I thought I would try it out. It is a bit expensive, which I expected, and is a brown/grey color which will be hard to dye if I choose to. I am looking forward to trying it out.
Tomorrow is the sheep to shawl demonstration. Those of you who have participated in such an event know how popular it is. It is always a good day of hard work and answering lots of questions. Alas, I will not be able to attend tomorrow. I think it is the first time I have missed it. I certainly enjoyed the day today with my fiber friends and the Games.
Tomorrow is a day of rest and catching up on my thoughts which have been in quite a whirl with all that has been going on. Monday it is back to the dye kitchen. It will take a day or two to start cranking out the dyed skeins as the yarn needs to be washed and mordanted but, hang in there, I will be moving into the Color Mixes category by the end of the week! -Renee

No comments: