Friday, July 20, 2007

Cutch plus Cochineal

Here is the first color mix and, as usual, it is a challenge to get the colors right. One of these days I will have to find where I put my camera manual to see if there is anything I can do about it. Starting with the skeins of the left, I used a dark DOS* for Cutch and a light DOS for Cochineal. The middle skeins are both medium DOS, and the dark pink skein on the far right used a light DOS for Cutch and a dark DOS for Cochineal. The pinks I got with this mix have a lovely brown undertone. I just finished another dye batch today that used Cochineal and Weld. I had planned to continue with the Cutch mixtures but I am low on Cutch and will need to get some more.
I must confess I am quite tired of the pinks. The blues and greens won't be coming until I do the next and final section, Indigo. I am pleased with all the variations I am getting. I also can see that I could spend another year creating colors!
Tomorrow I will not be dyeing as I am a hard-core Harry Potter fan and the final book comes out. I will be spending most of the day with my nose in the book. I will post the Cochineal and Weld photo this weekend. I will be back to the dyepots on Monday. -Renee
*see glossary

No comments: