Monday, June 11, 2007

Odds and Ends

Today is one of those days where everything overlaps and is in progress. At the moment, I have another batch of skeins in the mordant bath. As soon as that is finished, I will proceed with the Cochineal extract dyeing, skein and wash yarn for another batch, and so on. Last night I was standing in front of the Storyboard (see earlier posts) and planning out the week of dyeing. The Storyboard is very handy to have. I don't have to refigure every time and everything is there for me to see. As I have mentioned before, that can be a drawback too. I have been placing stickers on the cards that I have finished. I can see at a glance what I have done. I can also see what needs to be done. I have 95 dye days to complete and maybe more if the color mixes take longer. I can see that I will need to get a double burner and a couple more dyepots to get the dyeing done before the snow flies.
Even though I have merely just begun, I can see what an incredible experience this has been and will continue to be. I am learning an exponential amount about dyeing and a few other things as well and I am having a lot of fun. This is probably a gift I wouldn't have given myself on my own but I have come to realize that the Whidbey Weavers Guild has given me a tremendous gift. I am not talking about the money here, it pales in comparison to the support, accountability, and go ahead the grant gives a person. I know that others would agree with me. So for the WWG members who are considering applying next year, do it! You will be glad you did.
Are there areas in life you haven't given yourself permission to explore? I know sometimes it can be very difficult to give yourself permission. It is easy to find a million reasons why you shouldn't. You only need one reason why you should. If you need permission, I hereby give you permission to explore a path that has been calling to you! I have been fortunate to have been given permission myself and am learning to give myself permission as well. -Renee

No comments: