Sunday, February 17, 2008

Dyed Roving and Handspun Yarn

I have been waiting to take a picture of this roving and yarn. I like to use natural light as it seems to capture the colors the best. Light has been a bit of a challenge around here lately. We have had days of rainy, cold, gloomy dark weather with never enough light to use. Today the sun came out. Unfortunately, it was the weird way-too-bright blinding sunlight that we get at this latitude this time of the year. I tried to find a place to take the picture where the sunlight was a bit filtered but it was surprisingly difficult. I got light and shadow no matter where I put the yarn so this is the best I can do at the moment.
At the bottom of the picture is the roving I painted with acid dyes quite a while ago. The roving is a 54's Australian wool. Not as fine as Merino wool but of a respectable fineness. I mixed my own dye formula trying to match colors from a magazine photo. It actually worked! The nicest surprise came when I spun the roving into yarn. The colors appear darker but harmonize beautifully without appearing too muddy. As usual, the yarn is much prettier in person. I have decided to give this yarn to my friend Elizabeth whose knitting blog you will find in my Fiber Links list under "Elizabeth's knitting blog".
Since the sun was out and it wasn't raining or freezing, today was an outdoor workday. Plenty of winter clean-up projects and much to do to get ready for spring... -Renee

No comments: