Wednesday, March 12, 2008

SVWG Program-Syne Mitchell

Monday night was the Skagit Valley Weavers Guild meeting. I had really been looking forward to the program which featured Syne Mitchell discussing her podcast; WeaveCast. I have mentioned WeaveCast a couple of time in past posts and you will find a link to her podcast in the "Fiber Links " section. If you haven't had a chance to check it out yet, take a bit of time and do so. It is so very worth your while!
Syne gave us a wonderful presentation on what goes on "behind the scenes" when making a podcast. It is very exciting to see weaving taking off in this direction. Weaving can be a very solitary activity. Most of the time, I believe we weavers really enjoy that but it is also wonderful to come together with like-minded people and share. Up until recently, that sharing has been in the form of weaver's guilds and conferences. Now, with Syne's Weavecast and her new online magazine WeaveZine there is a whole new realm where we can connect. Combine these with blogs, weaving lists, and other forums and we have quite a powerful connection.
There were two things about Syne's program that really made me think. Syne mentioned the concern that many of us weavers have about reaching potential young weavers. Knowing how important online communities are to many, if not most, of the younger generation, WeaveCast is an excellent portal into the weaving world that can capture their attention. The possibilities are encouraging.
The other point that I noted is that Syne went looking for podcasts for weavers and, when she couldn't find one, created one herself! There is a lot to think about in that simple statement.
I am, like Syne, on the younger end of the spectrum when I look around the weaving guilds and I am middle aged! Syne has given me a lot to think about as my husband and I are in the process of making a very large mid-life change. That change is taking up a bit of time so my posts to this blog have slowed considerably. I do have several fiber events in April and May coming up so please hang in there!
I have to confess that I am totally addicted to Weavecast as Syne is an excellent story teller and knows how to conduct a great interview. I will be listening with eager interest and reading her online magazine.
To Syne, great job! I promise I will subscribe to the podcast announcements!
-Renee

3 comments:

Diana said...

Hi,my name is Diana and I live in the Methow Valley, but orginally from Lake Stevens. I belong to Snohomish Valley Spinners for about 18 years then moved here and now belong to The Methow Valley Spinners and weavers guild. I was wondering if you were going to the Whidbey Weavers spin in in April. I too have a blog on Google/blogger it's called knitting in the methow
I've been spinning for 21 years and weaving for three. I think my vaforite thing to do is knitting.
Just thought I would introduce myself and say hi from on spinner and weaver to another. I may know some people in your guild, I just can't think of anyone right noe, oh wait i think Tiny for Sedrowolly goes. Diana

R. Delight said...

Thanks for the comment Diana! I will be at the Whidbey Spin-In and am looking forward to it. Hope to see you there. I am adding your blog to my Fiber Links list. -Renee

Diana said...

Renee, thanks for the note. I don't have fiber animals any more, but I did for about ten years raise Angora rabbits and loved it.
My friend Laurie who lives north of me about five miles, she's the one with the Romneys. Her Romneys are from the heard of Lynn Scwieter (not sure how to spell that), but I'm sure you have heard of her. Lynn and her family are the ones who started the Shepards Extravganza. So Laurie also has Icelandic and a large heard of Cashmere goats that she uses for fiber and weed control.
See you at Whidbey! Diana